Sunday 19 June 2011

Burda 7890 knitted top

So Ruthie on Sewing Discussion at Stitcher's Guild Sewing Forum set a challenge to sew a knitted top.  She had found some great designs so a few of us decided to take it up.

My darling Mike went off sailing today so I had a few hours to see if I could sew up something that would be quick.


I looked through my patterns and came up with Burda 7890 which is actually part of a sort of lounge set/ PJ's but I liked the shape of the top so gave it a bash.
 This is the end result.
The fabric is a cotton knit lace which I have used before for a long swing jacket.

90% of this top was sewn using my Bablylock Evolution serger and the hems were completed using the flatlock function.  In the past I have struggled with this, but the gods were kind to me tonight and allowed me to hem the sleeves and bottom hem using a wide flatlock and I finished the neck edge this way too.

Unlike Kathryn on SG I don't have any light-weight knit that I could line this with so I will have to wear a little vest underneath, however I will look out for some light-weight knit on my next fabric shopping trip.

I now need to see if I can be a little more creative to meet the challenge brief and see if I can get another top done during the week.

2 comments:

  1. Pauline, I really like the look of that pattern, especially in the knit you chose. A colored cami underneath would be cute as well.I can envision it over a chocolate brown cami worn with chocolate brown pants. The crisp contrast would be really pretty. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline,Love your top. Like Kathryn idea of using a colored cami underneath. Would look great.

    ReplyDelete