Monday 29 August 2011

Living between two homes - I am now panicking

Today my DMike and I are will start our adventure living between our flat in London and my little cottage in the country.


For the past 4 months or so we have been totally refurbishing a 2 bedroom flat in London so that Mike no longer has his dreadful commute by train, and I no long have to do a 120 mile round trip by car to my office.


The whole project has been really exciting as we have been in the position to completely start from scratch and design it how we want it and the results are great.


Last night we loaded the car with food shopping, clothes, hangers, make-up, etc etc to leave at the flat because we will not have a car in London, but taking our fold-up bikes (aka Brian and Betty) to the train station and then cycling to the flat.


Now here is my problem.  I returned from Houston (business trip) on Saturday morning and of course had to do the usual washing, ironing, cleaning etc., but I also had to work out what I was taking to the flat.  I have selected a few items, I am already panicking in case I don't have everything I need, when I need it.  So what of your recent capsule wardrobe you created, I hear you say.  Well some of those pieces I took to Houston so were in mid wash yesterday so I will take some with me tonight, but when it comes to shoes, belts, bags etc., the question is what do I need there that I am unlikely to need back in the country.


I have taken my spare sewing machine up to the flat - and plan on cutting any projects here in the cottage and then just taking the bits I need up with me - but that will take a lot of planning on my part and also opens up the question what sewing notions I need in London.


Oh well need to get on with some more jobs, iron those extra clothes I have washed to take with me tonight.  Thank goodness I purchased a good size bag to clip on to our bikes. My biggest problem is that anything I don't take up on a Monday, can't be taken until the following Monday.  I am sure as time goes by I will work things out but in the meantime, I have butterflies in my stomach as this is the start of a new phase in my life............................


more later................

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a wonderful opportunity to plan a core wardrobe. Just take what you know about packing for traveling to plan what you need at your new flat. It will of course take a certain amount of trial and error to fine tune what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Pretty Kitty - think that is the approach I am going to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you in this new venture. I know you will work out the details as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck ! The extra time saved in travelling will be worthwhile in the long run. Others tell that long commutes are very tiring too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my biggest problem is not being able to wander upstairs and get on with a project that I want to start/complete, but the commute is much better as I now sit on a train and use my bike (good for the exercise) rather than drive the 120 mile round trip.

    thank you for all your kind comments

    ReplyDelete