Monday 17 October 2011

Feeling ill and pumpkin soup

Have you any idea how annoying it is to have 101 things to do and then to come down with a horrible cold/sore throat aghrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I decided to dose myself up with flu pills and try and break the back of this as quickly as possible and decided to work from home because I am drowning in work too.

Over the weekend one of the cooking shows rustled up a pumpkin soup and I love pumpkin soup.  When I went shopping on Saturday I purchased one of those little pumpkins about the size of a small melon for only 50p, and there are lots of different pumkins in the shops at this time of the year.  Today I thought what is more comforting than a nice bowl of tasty soup for lunch so here is my own recipe that I use.  Prep time approximately 5 minutes, cooking time approximately 20 minutes.

Ingredients:

1 small pumpkin
2 red onions
good chicken stock
fresh ground black pepper to taste 
small bunch of fresh mixed herbs from the garden (chives, sage and thyme)
1 litre of water
1 large carrot

Method:

Peel pumpkin and chop into small cubes (discard the seeds - if you are inclined you can wash these and then toast them in the oven).  Peel and chop onions and carrot and place into a medium-sized saucepan with the pumpkin water and chicken stock and bring to the boil and then simmer until the pumpkin is soft (approximately 20 minutes).

lastly add the fresh herbs and pepper to taste, cook for a further few minutes and then allow to cool a little before putting through a liquidiser to make a lovely smooth delicious soup.

For those not on a diet you can add a little cream, however I like mine just as it is.  I think this will sustain me for lunch and dinner today and may even be a little over for tomorrow's lunch too - think its time for some more pills.





No comments:

Post a Comment