Saturday 1 October 2011

Mix and match blouse B5464 & S3563

this is the first bit of real sewing I have done for a few weeks due to work and travel.  My D Mike went off to collect a Horn sewing cabinet I purchased from ebay, and then continued his journey to go sailing on a beautiful sunny day here in the UK.


I wanted to use my Butterick 5464 pattern again,  but insert long sleeves rather than make a sleeveless or short sleeve version as I have done before.


I dug through my pattern stash and came up with Style 3563 which I am sure I bought when I was around 25 years old.




I basically took the sleeve pattern, using some spare pattern tissue I re-cut the sleeve so that I can use it again at a later date if I wanted to.  I couldn't make up my mind about the cuff - with a frill or without a frill.


I tried the shirt on and asked my 25 year old daughter for her advice - "without the frill was her suggestion" based on the fact the fabric was quite busy, so this is what I went with.






Pattern Description:  B5464
Misses’ Blouse:  Loose-fitting blouses A,B,C,D have front band with button closing, purchased bias faced arm-holes and stitched hems.  A,B: sleeveless with collar band.  A: neck ruffle. B,D: front neck flounce (wrong side of fabric will show).  C,D: collar and collar band, tiered caps sleeves.  D Contrast flounce and sleeves.


Notions: Eight 3/8” Buttons and one package of ½” single fold bias tape
Pattern Sizing:6-20
Fabric I Used: crepe and cotton for the collar and front band and cuffs.
Total cost: £2.50 (fabric £1 a metre from Walthamstow market)
Time to Make:
5 hours.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I have made this pattern up several times so needless to say love it.  Its loose fitting is so comfortable to wear and I have worn it both for work and casual.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes/No, because of the changes I made.


Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes very, although I was using two patterns for the instructions.


Pattern Alterations or any design changes I made:

I added 1” to the length of the blouse plus a FBA. I sewed the two front bands together to give the illusion of a button front.  For the buttons I added two little black bugle beads to give a black and white contrast.


Tools etc:
Machines: Babylock Evolution serger, Bernina 440 sewing machine,

Conclusion:
I am pleased with the end result.  I will be able to wear this with my black pants or navy blue pants.  Its light and easy to slip over my head and gives a totally different look to a well used pattern.







4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love it! So smart and sassy...love the fabric! You are the blouse queen...so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty top. I love the fabric and the white contrast. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty blouse, The white trim really looks good with the print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your kind comments - I wanted to break the pattern up a bit otherwise I think it may have looked too busy

    ReplyDelete