Sunday 27 May 2012

3/10 only 7 to go

Ok, I have had too many late nights, early mornings so I have stopped sewing for the evening, but managed to finish 3/10 shirt, all but the buttons because I don't have any grrrrrrrh.

Do you know that there are so many different ways of sewing a shirt collar.  David P Coffin sews his by attaching the collar stand to the shirt first then inserts the collar.  The Pattern gives another version, and following a search on the internet this morning, I chose one of the old fashioned methods of making the whole collar (complete with stand) and then attaching it to the shirt.

One of my niggles of this shirt pattern (Kwik Sew 3883) is the size of the collar stand.  To my mind it was just a fraction too thin, so I added an extra 1/4" to the upper edge of the collar stand and I think this is the best version of all three shirts.  I have also done a much better job on my collar stay too, as they say practice makes perfect, and indeed the more I am making of these shirts, the better I am getting.

I made another minor change to the pattern by adding a small pleat on the back.  To do this, just slice the pattern where you want the pleat, and insert a strip of paper (enough to make the size of the pleat you want).  I only added an inch because I didn't want to make the shirt too baggy.  Mike does want some darts in the back too, but I will put these in later when I can compare the size etc with his expensive shirt - this will give a nice bit of shaping to the back.




If I get up early enough I will cut out shirt No.4 to take to the flat with me, but I may not have enough time - we will see.

Hope you all had a great weekend, and if you are in the UK enjoyed the sunshine - dare I say it was a little too hot for me lol

Catch you later................

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations for your ambitious 10 shirt project and on your progress. I'm still considering tackling my first shirt. I think the small tweaks will refine things and be a motivational tool to keep going. Well done!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Miriam - I have to say, I feel the project is helping me perfect each time.

      Delete
  2. Oh, another handsome shirt! It's fun hearing what you learn and what changes you make on each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie, its amazing what you can do with just one basic pattern but just ringing the changes - hence the term TNT - there rest is just the frills so to speak.

      Delete
  3. Great shirts Pauline. Love how you are making each one different. Can hardly wait to see shirt #4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - might take the pattern and the fabric to the flat tonight to work on there - sadly I haven't got into my sewing at the flat yet - this may be the chance.

      Delete