Thursday 10 May 2012

Wedding Cake for my sister

Hi everyone

I have had two gruelling days of pension meetings for work, and then when I cycled to the train station it was pouring with rain, so I look like a drowned rat.

Thankfully I got home at a reasonable time, and after a brief sit down I set too and started on my sister's wedding cake.

I have to put my hand up and confess to cheating on the actual cake.  I actually purchased the cake bases last weekend due to the time constraints of not being here to make one.   They are both fruit cakes, and normally you would make them and then allow at least 4-8 weeks for the cake to mature for a better cutting consistency and better taste.  However, let it be known that I love baking cakes and normally I would bake my own but I just didn't have enough time to do it all.

Confession out of the way, here is the end result.





My sister sent me the ribbons because these matched the ones used for her invitations and I believe she is using them for her table settings too.

Although its not clear from the photographs, these are oval cakes not round.

I used an ivory coloured Regal icing and marzipan for the two cakes - the colour in the photograph has come out more yellow than the actual colour. The flowers are made from sugar paste.  I was going to do more, but decided on the "less is more" approach.

In addition to the ribbons I purchased some sweet little pearl trim which I have stuck to the bottom ribbon, but can't stick it to the top ribbon because I will take the top tier off and put it in a separate box for the trip up to Scotland.

I hope she likes it.  Another job I can tick off my list, but still lots to do lol.

Catch you later........................ 

11 comments:

  1. You are amazing! You made the cake? Your sewing is incredible--the cake is divine! Lucky sister too!!!

    Lynda in LV

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! You made the cake? Your sewing is incredible--the cake is divine! Lucky sister too!!!

    Lynda in LV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much that is so nice of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS cake Pauline! What CAN'T you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very classy and perfect looking! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a work of art! I'm very impressed. I hope the wedding is a memorable and fun-filled celebration. So nice you could contribute to it in this way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks again - I sent my sister a photograph and she is thrilled to bits - my only worry is getting it there in one piece - its a 600 mile trip which we are doing over 6 day lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful cake. You are a master at cake decorating. Your sister is one lucky lady.

    Have a great trip and enjoy the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann - we are still in a bit of panic trying get everything finished.

      Delete
  9. You are so talented in a number of really different areas! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Who knew? I am so impressed and I bet it is as delicious as it is beautiful. Have a wonderful time at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete