Wednesday 12 September 2012

Versace Inspired blouse from McCalls 6436

First two confessions.  I should finish the cami top that I cut out in the same fabric as the blue skirt, that is 80% finished, but I wanted to cut out my lovely scarf print fabric that both Sigrid and I bought when we visited Walthamstow market on Saturday.

When we purchased this fabric we had to purchase it by the square (even though it was one complete piece of fabric) and I decided on 3 squares, one for the fronts, one for the back and one for the sleeves.



Here you can see the progress I have made on cutting out the fabric using McCalls 6436.  Initially I wanted to do the long sleeved version you see the model wearing, but here is my second confession - I cut the back out upside down grrrrrrrrrrrrr@!?!!!!!  how annoying is that.  So I had to make a decision - either to wear the back and the inside sleeve with upside down print or cut out a new back.

I had spent so long lining up the pattern pieces on the fronts, and I just couldn't bring myself to wear a shirt with the pattern upside down, so I decided the only way I could move forward was to make the sleeveless version (green).

I have laid out the fabric pieces as they should look once sewn.  I have used the black edges to cut out the front band and the pocket flaps.  I have also used the black for the collar and collar stand.  I will probably make self-covered black buttons too.

Too tired and too late to do any more tonight, so this project will resume tomorrow.

Catch you all later..................





14 comments:

  1. Uhhhh! Don't you just hate it when you make a muff of cutting out??? This is the same pattern I just used for my daughter, and also am in the process of whipping one up for me from it - both the sleeveless versions! It is a fairly quick pattern to whip up - can't wait to see yours finished tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith, hope it is quick as I need to get it finished by Sunday morning together with a few other jobs

      Delete
    2. Just blogged about my basic version of this top, and one quick query, is this a Butterick or McCall's pattern???? Mine is McCall's 6436 - someone was tired last night!!!

      Delete
    3. Judith

      after I saw your post I came in here and changed mine from Butterick to McCalls - yes I was tired lol.

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous fabric and what a dilemma! Truthfully, I can't see that anything is upside down in that print. It looks rather non directional to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the handbags would be upside down so I decided to go sleeveless.

      Delete
    2. ooh, didn't pick up on that. I think sleeveless is a great solution.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous fabric. I have been there and done that with directional fabric. You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the warning Pauline, I hadn't noticed an upside down print yet. Could easily have made that mistake. Though I intended it for a lining, but might change my mind when I see your blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have nearly finished it, hope to post it tonight

      Delete
  5. I think it'll still look great sleeveless. Looking forward to the finish product =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely fabric - you know how much I LIKE scarves. Great colourway too. Sleeveless will be perfect in this.

    ReplyDelete