Thursday 27 December 2012

A little artwork for a change

One of those projects on my to-do list for this year was to make an applique picture for the flat and this is what I have done so far.

I saw this beautiful Art-Deco inspired picture on the internet and thought it was perfect for me to convert into an applique picture.

I  printed the picture and then made a template out of it and dug deep into my scraps stash to try and find fabrics in similar colours to those in the picture.


I have never done any applique before, so this work will be the sort where you just fly by the seat of your, in my case my pants, and see what happens, but I am sure I will get there.

I have used a long tacking stitch on my machine to hold the individual pieces in place and used a piece of black cotton from my quilting stash to mount everything on.

Now all the pieces are more or less where they need to be I intend using a combination of techniques to attach these to the backing fabric, including the use of my embellishing machine, some hand sewing and perhaps some fabric paints too.

We have only just got home after seeing the Hobbit at the cinema and its getting late, so I am not sure that I will get any more done today - but so far, it's starting to look the way it should, so I am reasonably happy.

Yesterday I did manage to complete another 3 pairs of underpants for my D Mike, however, for some reason, he just refuses to model them for me, so sadly there will be no photos of them.  If you haven't already made your man some underpants I urge you to try.  They are incredibly easy, and compared to the price of the famous brand ones, they are a great deal cheaper.  I have some nice black cotton for the next batch for him so hopefully they will get done before I have to go back to work.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  I did get some sewing related gifts in the form of DVD's from Threads - I have added the "Insider Techniques", 3,4 & 5 to my collection, updated the Threads archives to include the 2012 issues and I also got a copy of Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire Shaeffer - so no excuses to get bored.

Catch you later.................


1 comment: